Friday, March 21, 2008

What Type of Quilt do You Like to Work on?

First, thanks for the all responses on my kitchen sink question. I didn’t expect as many answers as I got. Second, my cuts are healing nicely. The one on my right thumb is healed. The one on my left hand still looks a little red and has a small scab.

Now on to the topic of the day . . .

Recently an on-line group I belong to posted a poll asking us what type of quilts we like to work on. Do you like to work on fast, fun quilts? Your own designed quilts? Perhaps you prefer challenging quilts? Do you try different techniques with your quilts? Or do you perhaps like to try interesting color combinations?

The questions hung around in my brain for a day or so, percolating into some coherent thoughts. I realized I like to all kinds of quilts. A lot depends on the mood I’m in when I have to spend in my studio or watching my favorite sports event with DH.

The doll quilts I made a couple weeks ago met my need to make some quick projects because I hadn't sewn in weeks. Moving into a new condo kept me from touching my machine for weeks and I wanted just "to make something." So after a few short hours I had made five doll quilt tops.

This past weekend I just wanted to sit and sew. The goal wasn’t to complete a top, but move along a project or two. I worked on my Football Depression and my mom's Churn Dash quilt because the quilts require over 150 HSTs. See post below. The HSTs are still sitting on my dining room table waiting to be trimmed, perhaps I’ll get them done this weekend.

My "spectacular", long term, challenge quilt project is my Butterfly Garden quilt. This quilt contains piecing, stitching and appliqué. A little bit of everything. This project is my heart and soul project that I work on when want to focus on the process of making a quilt. It allows me to enjoy the feel of the fabric and thread in my hands as I create and work on each block.

I’m also beginning to tackle my completed UFOs. Currently my “Don’t Touch Me” baby quilt is sitting on the island, ready to be tied and bound. I may find some time to get it done this weekend.
I’ve also started playing with the ideas I have for a wall hanging and/or headboard for our bedroom. I have some fabric gathered for a project that’s called “DH Likes the Fabric” because it’s fabric he has picked out when we’ve been on vacation the last few years. The browns, golds and rust will look great in our new bedroom.

So tell me, what types of quilts are working on?

9 comments:

Nancy said...

I just finished a Weaver Fever by Jackie Robinson....Next up is TicTacMo by Terri Atkinson....

These are for Christmas presents for THIS year....I am trying to get ahead of the game...

Paula, the quilter said...

There is a line from a Stephen Stills song that goes: "If you can't be with the one you love, Love the one you're with." That is the way I feel about quilts. I love the one I'm working one but when the next one comes along then I love that one. Fickle, I guess.

Libby said...

I have to agree with TheQuilter. I remember one time my MIL got after me because I said, "I'm going to be starting the cutest quilt." MIL said,"That's what you say every time." *s* I just love 'em all.

julieQ said...

I love each quilt I work on, and I guess applique is my big time favorite, and hand quilting. I love piecing and machine quilting too, so I love them all too!

Nicky said...

I agree with you! You put it so well, I like all kinds of quilts and i like to make them at different times depending on fabrics, time mood. I was interested in how you wrote about Butterfly Garden. It is a lovely quilt!

cynthia said...

I love all quilts! But I mostly do applique, it makes my heart sing. I've been doing some paper piecing and starting to like it. I love repros, civil war and 30's. I guess I need to branch out in colors since guild members will say 'those are your colors" when I show them quilts. I am traditional I suppose.

Quilter Kathy said...

I have so many quilts on the go that I must have at least one in every category! I always have one that I am hand quilting, one I am machine quilting, several waiting for borders and basting, and an assortment of other quilts in various stages of piecing.

Anonymous said...

I seem to migrate towards mysteries - either quilts, blocks or "no-mail round robins." I think I do pretty well picking fabrics that I love together, but I can't decide on which pattern would set them off to best advantage - so I don't... I make it without knowing what the finished product is going to look like. So far, so good!

Kim said...

I love them all. I do like to have at least one hand project going so I can take it along with me- last year was gmfg this year cathedral windows.Mysteries are great fun....scrap quilts are my favorite. Currently I'm finishing a feathered star wall hanging I'm trading with a friend for some knitted socks :)