When I grew tired of sitting still I went into my studio and finished my first Galoshes quilt. Simple 9-patches with sashing and cornerstones. I still have enough 9-patches to make three more quilts. I'm trying to think of different settings for the blocks. I don't want to cut the blocks any smaller because I don't want to lose the galoshes. Any suggestions on settings or other colors to use?
I received this book in one of my swap packages on Friday. I absolutely love it! It's not often I find a book that makes me jump and down with excitement. If you don't have this book run and and buy it!!
Why? you ask. Here are my top 5 reasons for buying this book:
- I love the concept. It’s how I’ve started to create my own quilts. Take a stack of fabrics and then make a quilt with them rather than find a pattern and then go find the fabric.
- I love it because they give instructions on tying quilts or doing big stitch quilting! It’s the first quilting book I’ve seen that shows those methods. I feel like the Queen of Quilting (Alex, that is) has given me permission to tie quilts or to use big stitch quilting. Now I can stop feeling guilty about tying quilts.
- The basic instructions in the beginning of the book have directions and photos for right- and left-handers. Being a lefty I often have problems with books that are teaching techniques because they are written for right-handers only.
- The quilts are adorable. I may have to make one of each of them!
- The cover price makes this book a great value. When you consider a majority of quilt patterns start at $8 for one pattern generally for one quilt size, this book at $9.95 full price is awesome. Three basic quilt patterns with photos showing each quilt in three color palettes and for three sizes.
I see there is a second volume of this book coming out in November. You can bet I will be first in line to buy one.
Well, it's time to clean the kitchen and head off to bed. We got lucky this weekend with the weather. What I thought was a Nor'Easter, wasn't. Hurricane Kyle only gave us light rain today. The weather should be nice for a few days.
I hope you had great weekend.