Sunday, March 09, 2008

Quilty Time With Friends

Yesterday was a fun day in my condo. Mavie, Darlene and Victoria came over to see the new place and spend the quilt sewing, eating and, of course a trip to the LQS. The weather outside was wet, wet, wet, but we had lots of fun.

So what did we do yesterday? Mavie worked on her Carolina Crossroads. She spent the day subcutting her strips.
Victoria is working on a QuiltSmart quilt. She spent her time unstitching one of the panels and repinned it for sewing later.
Darlene was very productive. She came prepared to work on four charity quilts and she got quite a bit done.
I couldn't decide what to work on and spent the first hour digging through my projects trying to choose one. I finally decided to make an apron. I have a pattern from Timeless Treasures for a one-yard apron and made one for myself. It was the first time in ages that I made gathers and it was a lot of fun.
After a lunch of homemade beef vegetable soup we decided to head to the LQS. Mavie, Victoria and Darlene are scrap quilters and this store is perfect them. I think I've mentioned before that they sell coordinated packages of scraps, plus they have a huge wooden box of scraps you can dig through and fill a small lunch bag for $3.50. The three of them spent about 30 minutes digging through the box and each of them stuffed a bag full of scraps. Since the last time I was in the shop they've added a wall of sale fabric. Of course they pulled several bolts off the sale wall too. I didn't find a lot of fabric jumping into my hands. I found three small bags of scraps, Winnie-the-Pooh backing fabric for my doll quilts and the book "Square Deal, Easy Quilts from Squares and Rectangles" by Nancy Mahoney. The others took long enough looking through the scrap box that I talked myself into signing up for a long arm quilting lesson with the owner. For $125 you get a four hour, one-on-one lesson on the long arm. After that you can rent time on the machine at a special rate to finish quilts. I'm not taking the class for another six weeks, but I'm already excited. Finally I'll be able to get some of tops done!

Back at the condo we spent more time sewing. When I finished my apron I decided to work on my Football Depression quilt. I finished two more blocks and wanted to start adding them to quilt.

But . . . I couldn't find it! We spent 90 minutes looking through every bin, bag and storage container in my studio - at least three times - and the half-completed top is nowhere to be found! I've never lost a UFO before. I remember packing it and I'm pretty sure I remember seeing it somewhere in the new place. But I don't know where it is!!!! I'm convinced it went into hiding when the Patriots lost the Super Bowl. I wish it would come out though. I want to play! :(
Have you seen me?
UPDATE:While reviewing my list of WIPs I realized that only was Football Depression missing, but there were three other tops unaccounted for on my list – Tea Time Splash, Convergence Wall Hanging and Don’t Touch Me.

I couldn’t take it any longer. So downstairs I went and started going through all the suitcases, tote bags and U-haul boxes in the basement. The second to the last box was marked “glass frames”. I knew that one has our family photos and small art work in it. It hadn’t been opened because I knew we wouldn’t be displaying those items until the renovations are complete. I ripped (and I mean – ripped) the box open. There, prettily sitting on top of the box, were the missing quilts – all four of them.

What a huge relief. I knew I wouldn’t be satisfied until I found Football Depression. And the hunt for Football Depression led to finding UFOs I didn’t know I was missing. But now all is well in my house. I’ll be able to sleep tonight!

Lesson learned – using fabric and UFOs to pack is OK. Just be sure to label the box with the word “Quilts” on it so if you decide not to open it right away you won’t “lose” projects.

12 comments:

Pam said...

Drats! would have loved to see your photos from yesterdays sew-in...keep trying to post them...or create a new post, sometimes that works.

Paula said...

I had the same problem with blogger this morning. I ended up posting one pic at a time. A pain, but it's done. Glad you had a nice time with some quilty friends yesterday. Can't wait to see the pictures. And keep searching, you'll find that UFO!

Quilter Kathy said...

Sounds like great fun!
Last week I lost some paper piecing blocks...in UFO heaven I guess!!

Lindah said...

Lucky you! to have such neat LQS nearby! Sounds like you had a lot of fun---except for the hidden UFO.

Rhonda said...

Love your setup! And LOL on the "lost project" thingy. You sound like me. I start looking for things only to discover that I've used the fabric on something else....oooopppppps!

swooze said...

It's fun to sew with friends. I met my group yesterday too. Glad you found the missing quilts. Get one done soon...you are inching up the queen's list!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Looks like it was a great day, cute apron! I love the sound of the scrappy quilt shop, always fun to dig out bargains. The condo is looking nice, Tracey

Rose Johnston said...

Sounds like a great day with good friends!! Love the apron, great job!!

Anne Heidi said...

It looks like you all had a fun day! Glad to see you found your missing quilt tops!

Libby said...

Sounds like a fun time - of course it was quilting with friends *S* The scrap bin to shop from is a great idea - I need another scrap like a hole in the head . . . but that wouldn't stop me!

Carole said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Glad to read that you found your quilt! Have fun at the long arm class.

Meredith said...

glad you found them! I just stopped by to see how life in the new condo was going. Love the apron.