Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever: extreme irritability and restlessness from living in isolation or a confined indoor area for a prolonged time (Merriam Webster's OnLine Dictionary)

Cabin fever is what I usually experience when I am forced to stay inside too long. I came home from work last Friday night with a slight cold. On Saturday I was feeling worse and only left the house to take DH to the bus station for his trip to Europe. Sunday I spent the day sewing and was feeling better. I woke up Monday morning and couldn't breathe. I was so congested, so achy and so fatigued that I knew I wasn't going anywhere. I tried to work from home, but simply couldn't stay awake or even concentrate so that was useless. I spent all day in bed. That is until I couldn't lay flat without feeling like I was drowning so I fell asleep sitting in my reclining sofa.

Tuesday morning didn't bring much relief. However, I forced myself to get up, take a shower, get dressed and stay on the couch instead of the bed. DH called me around dinnertime to see how I was doing. Knowing that I had been in the house since Saturday night he asked me if cabin fever had set in yet. I surprised myself by saying, "No, not at all." Even when I'm sick and/or laid up I still used to get restless if I was forced to stay inside longer than two days. The more I thought about, the more I realized that having three floors of living space kept me from getting cabin fever. How cool! At least for me it's cool.

I did manage to sew together the five doll quilts I started on Sunday. Four of them went together well and I'm happy with them.
This one didn't want to play well. The yellows are different prints, but the same shade of yellow. I think I should have just made these four blocks from the reds alone and did something else with the yellow. Oh well, some child will love it.
I need to start planning for this weekend. I can't decide what project to work on: place mats, Butterfly Garden, start tracing designs for my stitched Dear Jane blocks or perhaps I should finish a quilt. I haven't finished a quilt yet this year. What do you think I should do this weekend?

17 comments:

Nancy said...

Put your choices in a hat and draw one....

Paula said...

Hope you are feeling better. The quilts are pretty cute!

jodie said...

Work on the Dear Jane stitcheries, I am dying to see how they look.

Take it easy and make sure you get well. Jodie

Susan said...

Which one is farther along? I really want to see how the Dear Jane comes out, but I also like the butterfly quilt. Of course, placemats could be a finished project! What a quandry.

Patti said...

Here's hoping you are feeling much better very soon! Work on whatever is the least tiring.

Vanessa said...

Hi Sweet P, have just come across your blog. I can commiserate, I have had the same bug I think. Hope you are feeling better soon. Your sewing certainly hasn't suffered - love the colours in those blocks.

Leanne said...

Hope you are feeling better - work on the one that makes your feel happy.

Gail said...

Hope you are better quickly; pick the one that will boost your spirits the most.

~Bren~ said...

I do hope you are feeling better...your quilts are very cheerful...that should keep the cabin fever at bay!

Libby said...

Hope you are feeling better . . . that crud has been going around for some time now.

Anonymous said...

You'll feel so virtuous if you finish a quilt (I'm currently in finishing quilts mode!) Particularly if it doesn't take too long and then you can get started on someting else! Hope you are feeling better! Denise in PA

doni said...

finish a quilt! Then you'd have one done this quarter ... on your way to a habit!

Glad you're feeling better!

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Get better soon!! When you are feeling better you should definitely finish a quilt! Otherwise, for this weekend do whatever, strikes your fancy. If that doesn't work do eenie, meenie, minie, mo!

Mavie_q said...

Paula hope u feel better by sat!!! how far is your new quilt shop from your home?? mavie

Elaine Adair said...

OH my -- feel better soon!

Greenmare said...

awww poor you, drink something comforting and fondle some fabric that does want to play nice.

DebMc said...

Doesn't it feel great to have all these choices? lol
We had a snow day here yesterday. It was such a pleasure to work on my current project, warm and cozy, while the snow piled up outside. I'm wishing you a productive and healthy time!