Friday, August 12, 2011

A Food Discussion

I'm a foodie. I like food. I like to grocery shop. I like to cook and bake and eat.

This was our dinner last night: Espresso Rubbed Sirloin, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Corn and Bean Salad and Honey Grain Bread.
Can someone explain to me when and why grocery shopping and cooking became a chore and a hassle? I'm tired of reading articles and books written with the promise of easier shopping and cooking if you follow a few simple steps.

I recently purchased The Stocked Kitchen book. The premise of the book is a good one. Let us provide you a list of food to keep in your pantry and freezer and we'll give you a book of recipes to cook from that food. There is one line in the book that intrigues me: you should treat your family like they are a guest in your house for dinner. What an awesome philosophy. It's the best line I've read about cooking for your family.

I intend to start building my own pantry list built around our favorite recipes. Would you like to join me in the process? I think it would be a fun way to work through the couple months to get ready for the holidays.

Let's make every meal a special meal in our homes.

Sweet P

1 comment:

Libby said...

For me, shopping is a chore because I handle the items SO many times - when I select, place in cart, remove to conveyor belt, bags in car, bags out of car, items out of bag to put away. By the time it's said and done, I just want to go out to dinner *s*