Sunday, October 29, 2006

I’m an early riser and it’s tough to get out of bed when it’s still dark. So I was very happy when I woke up this morning at 6:30 and the sun was already up. I love my weekend mornings when DH is still sleeping and I have an hour or two of me time and it’s even better when the sun is shining.

I took this picture of a leaf that visited us yesterday. Despite the heavy rain and roaring winds this little leaf stayed stuck on our living room window for most of the morning. We named him Junior. Today he and many of his buddies have been blown away by the still roaring winds. Most of the trees in town are bare and it is beginning to look like winter. Now all we need is some snow.

Cynthia showed her block keeper and asked us to share how we keep our blocks together. I don’t have a block keeper. I’ve thought about making one for my hand pieced blocks, but haven’t made one yet. I’ll have to add a block keeper to my list of To Do projects when I want a quick project to make.

Nancy asked us what we collect. My first quick answer is bells. I started collecting bells in high school and probably collected them for 10 years. They are packed away right now until I can figure how to display them. My first one was a Tinkerbell Bell we bought when we were on vacation in Disneyland. Most of them represent a location, some of them are special gifts. I have bits and pieces of collections from my grandma, a great aunt and me mom. My grandma collected thimbles and I have a couple of hers. My great aunt collected teapots and I have a couple of hers. Mom collected salt and pepper shakers and someday I will get some of hers. I would rather have a few special items than a large collection of items.

While working on my binding yesterday I realized I have started a new collection – sewing kits. I have a hand piecing kit. I have two marking pens, an eraser pen, needle threader, seam ripper, needles (in the wooden case), thread for my current project, Clover cutting pendant, scissors, a pincushion with a few flat head pins and the current block I’m working piecing. This kit tucks right into my briefcase. I don’t keep a ruler in it because it’s kind of tough to measure anything while in a moving car.


I have a “binding kit.” This isn’t a glamorous kit, but it works for me. The tin was originally filled with BBQ spice rub. A couple weeks ago I tried to get creative with it. I sprayed adhesive on it and tried to get some batting and fabric to stick on top of it and it didn’t work. I couldn’t get the spray adhesive off so I tried plastic wrap and it kind of stuck. At least when the cover is closed it’s hard to open so I don’t have to worry about the pins spilling. The wooden case holds needles. When I’m binding I take the scissors and needle threader from my hand piecing kit.


I have my travel sewing kit. I made this for myself last month and have only used it once. It can hold a lot of tools and I’m impatiently waiting for another opportunity to use it again.

My sewing machine kit is currently a plastic baggie that holds various feet and needles for my machine. I’ve been thinking about making a small bag to hold these items, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

I don’t have a hand quilting kit, although I have all the tools – marking pens, eraser pen, quilting needles, scissors and thread. I guess when I sit down to quilt all I need is a needle, thread and scissors and I just take from my other kits to get what I needed.

Do you have any sewing kits? Do you keep your tools with one kit or do you mix and match and needed?

6 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

I love Junior!

Gail said...

I have several sewing 'kits' too. I have one large zippered cosmetic type bag that I keep applique pins, needles, folding scissors, needlethreader and toothpicks in, plus any pieces & coordinating threads for whatever applique project I am working on. It is large enough to hold what I need, generally small enough to stuff in my handbag as a 'to go'. Then I have a 'worm bag' style that has all kinds of goodies that I would need for a class, and a small sewing box for any mending around the house.

Beth said...

my favorite kit is a cheap pencil box I got when all the school supplies were out in August. I think they sold for .25 and I got 2. One holds all the stuff for my Juki (machine on the frame) and the 2nd one is for taking. It is clear pink so I can see in easily to check for needed supplies.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Oh dear, I thought I was into bags, but I think it's fairly safe to say that sewing kits are right up there, I'll get organized and blog them for you. I just love anything that holds stuff!!

Libby said...

I have a couple of boxes - one plastic the other a fabric covered card box - that I carry my sewing kits in. Usuallly they are in the same place -- a larger tote that I carry to my quilt class. But I can pull one or the other out to carry along when I only need a few supplies, not my entire sewing room *s*

Anonymous said...

I have 1 kit, but I pull & rework it. i.e., I have an antique plastic (That sounds funny - but it is true - the zip code is 2 digits!) kit that has an applique project & all of the necessary stuff to do it, but since that is my only thimble, when i made a different applique project, I pulled the thimble & thread snips out and put them in a pencil box which better for travel! (I have a second plastic antique box that is not in use yet! I really want a collection of them!)