Sunday, October 22, 2006

Busy Saturday

Last week I talked about using moleskin on my sewing machine to help get a good quarter-inch seam. Tracy asked me if I use a patchwork foot. I do use a patchwork foot, but using the moleskin helps to keep the fabric lined up before it goes under the sewing foot. The moleskin also helps to keep the end of the pieces from sliding in one direction or the other. Here is a picture of how it works.



My dad got his Chiclets quilt this week. My DB sent me this picture of him with his quilt. He was suprised to get a quilt and loves it.



Yesterday was a good quilting day for me. First up was cutting my WOW butterfly fabric for my birthday quilt. DH was still sleeping when I finished cutting so I moved on to finish cutting the pieces for my Streak of Lightening quilt. I was able to get all the pieces cut and I think I still have enough reds for another quilt! Here are the stacks for each block. I've put each stack in its own baggie so when I am ready to start a new block I can grab a baggie and go. Which leads to me this question for those who hand piece - how do you mark your pieces for sewing? Do you mark all of your sewing lines? No mark at all? Have you ever used Jinny Beyer's Perfect Piecer? I'm thinking of finding one, but need some input on it.



Shortly after he woke up DH reminded me that we friends who are expecting their first baby in a few weeks and we need to buy them a gift. Buy them a gift???? I told him I would make a baby quilt for them. So I dug through my stash and found some Winnie-the-Pooh fabric. I printed off the directions for the Super Nine Patch Quilt by Anita Grossman. I didn't need to make 3 quilts so I improvised the pattern with what I had and made this quick baby quilt. Today I need to buy batting so I can finish the quilt and have it ready for the new baby.



Late afternoon and early evening found me making the blocks for my birthday quilt. I'm so happy that was able to chain piece all the blocks without a mistake. Next step is trim the blocks to 8.75 inches. I might some of that done today.

I realized late last night I hadn't checked the mail box. So off I went to get the mail. I found a surprise in my mail. I received a birthday package from Cotton Spice magazine. I had forgotten that when I signed up for the magazine they asked for your birhday month. What a cool collection of FQs they sent me.



This week I'll be getting back two quilts from my LA so I'll soon have lots of hand work to keep me busy. Yeah! Well it's time to work on my football pools for the week and catch up on some blog reading. More later.

11 comments:

Libby said...

*whew* You have accomplish quite a lot here. Your dad looks so happy with his quilt. The baby quilt is a great idea -- quick, but effective. They will be so happy too.

Angie said...

Wow, Sweet P, you really got a lot accomplished! And thanks for the link to that super-quick baby quilt. :D Your Dad's quilt turned out great, and what a nice surprise for him. :D

dot said...

You have been busy. I like the baby quilt. What a clever girl you are. I look forward to seeing the birthday quilt. Enjoy your day.

His Office, My Studio said...

You sure are busy. Your dad's smile says it all.

May Britt said...

Oh dear, you have had a busy wonderful day. Doesn't it feel great when you go to sleep and know you have been so effective. And the fabric in the mail as a bonus for the whole day. Looking forward to see what you are going to do with your red quilt. Like the ide gathering the cuttings into plastic bags.

Gail said...

You really did a lot in; your dad is just beaming!Sounds like a perfect day for a quilter.

Patti said...

And how do you like your moleskin "wall". You are exactly right - it keeps the fabric straight before it goes under the foot so your seam allowance is much more accurate.

Glad your dad was so happy with his quilt!

Linda C said...

Look at that smile on your dad's face. Doesn't it make all the work involved with quiltmaking worth it. Cool fabrics from Cotton Spice there too.

Hope your back problem has straigthened out and you are feeling much better.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Thanks for elaborating on the moleskin idea, I hope I'll try that tomorrow. You had a great day and I loved the fabric, just reminded me I joined a mailout recently, I wonder when that comes...

Rae said...

Isn't neat to bring so much pleasure to loved ones with your quilts?

As to the pic of the corner, I will try to get it on in the next few days.

Rae

Hedgehog said...

Looks like your dad really likes his quilt! Love that Winnie the Pooh fabric, too! What a busy week!