Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy 4th of July

Happy July 4th Everyone! Our family is happy today because my Marine Colonel BIL is on his way home from Kabul, Afghanistan. He will be back in the US on Thursday. He has been gone since January and this is is his second tour over there. Hopefully he won't have to go back.

I am having a quiet day today. Bruce has left to visit a friend and I chose to stay home because I've been gone so much lately that a day alone sounds exquisite. Later I will walk to the butcher shop and pick up steak and the ingredients to make brownies for our dinner this evening.

I thought I'd share two pictures of a doll quilt I found while cleaning out my parent's home. My grandmother made this for me. It is a combination of hand quilting, applique and machine piecing. I'm saving it for my first granddaughter.





Last Saturday Tasha and I spent the day sewing while Geoffrey was having his bachelor party. She put together a quick baby quilt for my SIL who is having a baby girl in late August. I had the squares cut and Tasha put the design together. She is going to put one white border and one pink border on it. We bought some adorable pink fabric for the backing.



I started hand quilting the pre-printed mini whole cloth quilt I bought in May. I absolutely love hand quilting now that I have learned how to do it. I'm pleased with my progress so far on this project.



I hope everyone has a great day today wherever you are.

3 comments:

Linda C said...

Your whole family must be breathing a sigh of relief about your BIL's tour being completed.

Love the quilt you are saving for a future grandchild. Tasha did a good job on her top too.

Patti said...

Your hand quilting is looking very nice!

Elaine Adair said...

I am strolling through all your blog and looking at your excellent hand quilting (from June?)! Wow, girl, you're doing great! I've been quilting a long time, and my stitches are not so lovely. Great job.