Saturday, July 29, 2006

Finally a Day in My Quilt Studio





Today was the first day I've been able to really spend time in my quilt studio quilting since I finished it in May. I started at 8 AM this morning working on a tote bag. The pattern is from the Better Homes and Garden Quilts and More magazine. I shopped my stash for the fabric. I'm using sewing notion fabric for nearly all of the bag.

This is also the first project I have machine quilted. I didn't mark the fabric. I just did a free hand grid. The results are OK. Not spectacular. But not too bad for the first time. Once I had the pieces quilted I didn't know how to proceed - should I use the quilting needle to put the pieces together or use a regular needle. I posted the question to a couple of quilt groups I belong to and got some answers. So perhaps I'll finish the tote bag tomorrow.

I also started and completed a table runner top. This is from a kit (one of the very few I have). I purchased the kit while on vacation in Oregon last summer. The colors will go great in my dining room. Tomorrow I will find some backing fabric. I have batting so I should be able to work on the runner tomorrow too.

In all I spent close to 10 hours in my quilt studio today. It was a heavenly day. I've been home alone most of the day. Bruce had offered to pick up Geoffrey and Tasha upon their return from their honeymoon so he was gone all afternoon. There was a Boston Red Sox game on TV to keep my company. Geoffrey and Tasha stopped by for a few minutes and shared some of their honeymoon memories. I took their pictures off their camera for them. Tasha's favorite character is Winnie-the-Pooh and she was so excited to have her picture taken with him. And yes, she wore the Minnie Bridal ears all week. She was still wearing it when they came to visit this afternoon.

I can't believe how much I enjoy having my own quilt studio. Being able to create and work in my own space is absolutely delicious. I didn't get stressed because I didn't have to worry about cleaning up at the end of the day. I can leave my projects out if I want to or put them away if I want to. I experienced a big sense of freedom being in my own space. I can't imagine ever having to work in the dining room again. I even have a temporary design wall. The mattresses we borrowed from my MIL for my parents are still here. Bruce propped them up against the wall in my studio. Tonight I have my projects pinned up on them. Has anyone ever used an old mattress or piece of foam for a design wall? How did it work?

1 comment:

Eileen said...

Great that you got to just sit down and work in your studio. I like both the tote bag and the table runner. I've got several kits I have to get done, too.
I think it's great that you're using what is right there for your design wall, but how long do you want to stick pins in a mattress? Also, what if it has to be used to sleep on and you forget a stray pin?
Try a piece of rigid foam insulation with either batting or a tablecloth turned flannel side out. It's lightweight, so you can move it around whenever you need to.
We're finally in first place-I just heard it on the news.