Sunday, September 28, 2008

Galoshes Quilt and Book Review

I had a blissful Sunday afternoon. Like we did last weekend we had two TVs set up in the living room to watch baseball, football and golf. I did handwork on my Stitcher's Angel projects and worked on the binding of a quilt for DIL.

When I grew tired of sitting still I went into my studio and finished my first Galoshes quilt. Simple 9-patches with sashing and cornerstones. I still have enough 9-patches to make three more quilts. I'm trying to think of different settings for the blocks. I don't want to cut the blocks any smaller because I don't want to lose the galoshes. Any suggestions on settings or other colors to use?
I received this book in one of my swap packages on Friday. I absolutely love it! It's not often I find a book that makes me jump and down with excitement. If you don't have this book run and and buy it!!
Why? you ask. Here are my top 5 reasons for buying this book:
  1. I love the concept. It’s how I’ve started to create my own quilts. Take a stack of fabrics and then make a quilt with them rather than find a pattern and then go find the fabric.
  2. I love it because they give instructions on tying quilts or doing big stitch quilting! It’s the first quilting book I’ve seen that shows those methods. I feel like the Queen of Quilting (Alex, that is) has given me permission to tie quilts or to use big stitch quilting. Now I can stop feeling guilty about tying quilts.
  3. The basic instructions in the beginning of the book have directions and photos for right- and left-handers. Being a lefty I often have problems with books that are teaching techniques because they are written for right-handers only.
  4. The quilts are adorable. I may have to make one of each of them!
  5. The cover price makes this book a great value. When you consider a majority of quilt patterns start at $8 for one pattern generally for one quilt size, this book at $9.95 full price is awesome. Three basic quilt patterns with photos showing each quilt in three color palettes and for three sizes.
If I were to write a quilt book, this would be the one I would write!

I see there is a second volume of this book coming out in November. You can bet I will be first in line to buy one.

Well, it's time to clean the kitchen and head off to bed. We got lucky this weekend with the weather. What I thought was a Nor'Easter, wasn't. Hurricane Kyle only gave us light rain today. The weather should be nice for a few days.

I hope you had great weekend.

Sweet P

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Paula, Very nice quilt! What about setting the blocks on point. It will give you more quilting area too. I haven't seen the book, but now I think I will have to look for it. I can't believe you are going to bed....the Red Sox aren't done yet!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Sounds like a nice day, love the quilt.

Rhonda said...

How about setting the blocks together on point. Love your reasons why. They help to made up ones mind of buying the book.

Libby said...

I love big stitch quilting . . . not everything can get the 'heirloom' treatment, but it still allows you to have that quilt in your hands *s*

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Snowballs look really good with nine patches.

Mary Johnson said...

You sold me - I went and ordered both books - well technically I pre-ordered the 2nd one. I'm all about simple!

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

A coule of years ago I took my daughter with me to the Houston Quilt Show. While we were there I went to the Bernina booth to meet Alex Anderson. She spent half an hour talking to me and to my daughter about passing down the love of quilting. She also told my daughter if she sent an email to the head guy at Bernina telling him how she started quilting that she could win a machine...and she did! It came in the mail a couple of weeks later. She is just a lovely person and I love her books. :)
dawn

Brenda said...

Great quilt! I thought bowtie would make an interesting and fun way to use these pieces. I enjoy visiting your blog it is always interesting!

Unknown said...

How about putting the blocks "on point" and using 1/2 square triangles to finish the edges.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review of the book. I've picked it up a couple of times at the quilt shop. I'm definitely going to buy it now! I'm tending towards simpler quilts these days and the quilts in the book definitely foot the bill!