The Sound of Music is floating around blogland today! Paula, The Quilter is singing So Long, Farewell and Nancy at Patchwork Penguin is singing My Favorite Things. The Sound of Music is the first film I remember seeing in the theater as a little girl. I remember Maria walking down the aisle with the nuns singing Maria. What little girl wouldn't dream of having a wedding like she did?
I love musicals and music. Taking Nancy's cue I thought I'd list my 10 favorite musicals and/or songs.
- My all-time favorite music is Jesus Christ Superstar. When I was teenager my girlfriends and I used to perform the opera to the records taking turns with the various roles. The album was the first music I put into my ITunes and on my Ipod. These days Comcast has the 1973 movie with Ted Neeley On Demand. I listen to it almost every day. I admit though I've never seen any other work by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber. I couldn't pick a favorite song of the opera. I love them all.
- Of course, the Sound of Music is a favorite. My favorite song from the movie is Do-Re-Mi. It was one of the first songs I learned when taking piano lessons.
- South Pacific by Rodgers and Hammerstein will make me dream about being on a tropical island. I auditioned for the role of Bloody Mary in high school, but ended up playing in the orchestra instead. My favorite song from the movie is Bloody Mary. Those men dancing around the beach get me every time.
- The King and I is another Rodgers and Hammerstein musical I love. I played in the orchestra for our high school production of this as well. Shall We Dance is my favorite song from the movie. I always adored the hoop skirts the women wore and loved to watch them twirl in them.
- That's all the musicals I like. Now on to my favorite songs. I will stop everything to hear The Piano Man by Billy Joel. I still wish I could play the piano as well as he does. Have your ever heard his classical music CD? It's awesome.
- Another favorite Billy Joel is Scenes from an Italian Restaurant. Oh what the heck - Billy Joel is at the top of my favorite musician list.
- Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond will get me humming. If course, it doesn't help that at Fenway Park the song is played during the 7th inning stretch. I'm excited because Neil Diamond is performing at Fenway Park on August 23 and we have tickets to go! Be still my heart! We saw Neil Diamond just after 9/11 and it was a great show.
- Can You Feel The Love Tonight from Lion King by Elton John is a great song. I never saw the movie, but I love the music. I've seen Billy Joel and Elton John together in concert twice. They had great shows.
- I never thought I would take my two sons to a rock concert, but we took them to see The Who a few years ago. We had the best time. My favorite Who song is Baba O'Riley, sometimes referred to as Who Are You. It is the opening credit song for the CSI shows.
- And last, but not least, The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens. This song just makes my body groove every time I hear it.