Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Is Breakfast Dead?

Last week on CSB Sunday Morning they aired a story on the evolving nature of breakfast. One of the facts that stuck in my mind is the 12% skip breakfast. How can you skip breakfast? It's the best meal of the day. They also talked about how time starved breakfast has become - get it on the run, in the car, while rushing to wherever you need to be.

That is not what happens in my house. I'm an early riser and DH is not easy to wake up. When we first started living together mornings were tough. At some point I thought it would be fun to wake up DH with breakfast in bed. It worked. And I'm still doing it seven years later. Monday through Friday I get up at 6:15, make breakfast and bring it Bruce in bed. I sashay into the room, carrying the tray and gently call, "Breakfast." He'll roll over, smooth out the covers, make sure my pillows are up against the wall and get comfortable. You've probably noticed that there is only one bowl of cereal on the tray. That's because I feed him. Yup, that's right. I spoil him rotten. But before you start rolling your eyes and wondering if I'm sane, I can tell you that we have some of our most meaningful and intimate conversations over cereal, toast and OJ in the morning. When we are done eating, DH takes the tray back to the kitchen and we still have time to cuddle before it's time to get ready for work.


On Saturdays it's a help yourself to breakfast morning since I am up early and he sleeps in. On Sunday it's his turn to cook breakfast which translates to eggs, bacon, beans and bagels.

So the next time you're considering skipping breakfast, try sharing breakfast with a loved one or loved ones. Maybe you'll create a new tradition in your home or perhaps restore an old one.

13 comments:

His Office, My Studio said...

You and hubby are way to cute!

My boys and hubby are on their own Monday - Friday. I don't work outside the house so I do sleep in just a bit longer.

On the weekends Hubby makes breakfast for all of us. Once in awhile hubby and I go sneak away for breakfast by ourselves.

Paula, the quilter said...

I eat breakfast every day. When I worked as a waitress (in the younger days) I always wanted the breakfast shift. Granted there were sometimes more plates, but I loved that shift and serving breakfast.

Libby said...

During the week, it's every man for himself. On the weekends, I love to fix breakfast with all the trimmings. There is so much joy in sitting at the table in the morning, trading stories from the paper, talking about the coming day.

Jeanne said...

I remember pancake Saturdays when I was young. My mom would make pancakes until we couldn't eat one more bite.
It's a fun memory.

Elaine Adair said...

Juice, maybe - but NOT a whole meal -- I would fall back asleep if I eat much in the AM.

You ARE too good to that man, but am glad her has appreciated it. 8-)

Vicky said...

That is a great way to eat breakfast but my guy is out the door to work way to early for me. I did try to surprise him with dinner and a movie the other night but he ended up working overtime!!! I always make his dinner but this was a special one. :{
http://handpainted.moonfruit.com/

sewnut said...

At our place DH brings me an herbal tea in bed before he leaves for work (6:30 ish) and he prepares a pot of regular tea as well as warming my thermos for my afternoon.
On my side, I make sure he has nicely ironed shirts and is not running around looking for clean socks.
Our morning routines clash so I stay in bed, he can follow his routine then head out on his commute. I then get up, make myself a cappucino and head off my way to work for the day. I do welcome him home every night with a home cooked meal. Am I a wonderful wife, NOT? I stay up till 2 AM every night sewing or internet-stuff-ing!!!!! But he is a sweetie and I'll keep him.

Granny said...

I think you do have him spoiled! :)

I love breakfast best and if I had my way, I'd have a big breakfast and then another meal about 1 p.m. and then fruit and toast for dinner but somehow I don't think that would fly at my house.

Laura said...

For years I had a Tab and a 3 musketeer bar for breakfast everyday. I cut the candy bar out when it started showing on my hips. I still need the Tab to jumpstart my day.

Anonymous said...

I am not handy at all with the sewing machine not like my "dearest friend" Sewnut.. the ultimate queen of the quilt lady but I do check her blog on a regular basis.. breakfast .. couldn't resist to say something.. like Sewnut's DH my main man does bring me tea in bed each and every working day..and it is my turn on weekend to do so for him. He loves breakfast.. I skip this "important" meal most day and have a quick bite once I get to work usually with my ever present morning Tim Hortons coffee.. but I do agreed breakfast should regain its rightful place in our daily ritual.. Cheers.. Murielle O. from London ON

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Great tray! Lucky hubby as well...but you knew that!
My DH gets up first and looks afyer himself, Sundays he makes us all bacon and eggs. Cheers, Tracey

Rhonda said...

Great reading your blog!

Patti said...

Oh my - this is really something Paula. Seven years - amazing!!!!! You are incredibly sweet to do this. I consider it a major miracle that I managed to teach my husband to eat breakfast - he never ever did before we were married.