Monday, April 03, 2006

Baseball Season is Here!



I admit it - I love sports, especially baseball, football and golf. Today was the first game of the season for the Red Sox. I took Wally The Green Monster (see above picture) to the office with me so he could listen to the game with me over the internet. I know this sounds silly, but it is who I am. Bruce wouldn't have it any other way either. He is a life long Red Sox fan and was lucky enough to get to Game 4 of the World Series in 2004. The Red Sox are my adopted team. Coming from Minnesota I grew up watching the Minnesota Twins and have already seen them win two World Series.

Then there's football . . . but I'll save that discussion for football season. And golf - well Bruce and I spend every Labor Day weekend going the the Deutsche Bank Golf Championship in Newton, MA. The first year we went I almost got hit by Tiger Woods wayward shot!

Oh yeah, the first quilt I made is below and yes, it's made with Red Sox and Patriots fabric and that is my darling husband underneath it.



Other than being opening day, it was a quilt-filled day for me. I went to the small LQS near my office to find a gift for a friend. I ended up finding two yards of black fabric with orange, yellow and lime green teacups on sale and couldn't resist it. I also found a book - Super Simple Squares, Creative Uses for 6.5 inch squares by Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith. It's got some great ideas for using 6.5 inch squares in quilts and pillowcases.

Then in the mail I got a pattern I had ordered - Four of Hearts by Four Corners Designs. It's a three color quilt made with log cabin hearts. The hearts are two colors and then there is a background. I'm going to make the wall hanging size as a wedding gift for my DS. Now I just need to decide what colors to use. I'm going to purchase the fabrics when I go on my shop hop in May.

Also in the mail was my Row Robin that I started last summer. Five other quilters have added their rows and now it's ready for me to finish.

As for the HST's it seems that any method that doesn't involve picking out paper wins. I agree. Although I am still trimming the ones I made yesterday.

2 comments:

Quilty bird said...

I think sports/team fabrics are on sale at Joann's this week. I have a pattern for a fleece poncho that folds up into a seat cushion and I think I'll pick up the fabrics for that now that baseball season has started.

I like the quilt you made for DH.

Patti said...

I see you are a baseball fan just like me. What is happening to your Red Sox? We're counting on them to take care of the hated A-Rod and the rest of the evil empire.