Monday, March 05, 2012

Blaming It On The iPad

I blame my lack of posting on the iPad. Since I got one over a year ago I have fallen seriously short on blog posts. It's not easy to post from the iPad. Typing anything more than a sentence or two is trying on the small keyboard. Uploading photos is next to impossible.

I feel bad not posting. I miss the dialogue that's created from comments. I keep promising myself to spend more time on my laptop so I can blog more. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. Time will tell.

Anyway, here are a few projects I've been up to lately.

On Valentine's Day my Muse told me I needed to crochet some hearts. A quick searched through the Ravelry patterns produced this heart doily from Coats and Clark. I used Sunflower Yarns fingering weight yarn in a pretty coral. The pattern took about an hour to make and I love the results.
One Friday I got an unexpected day off as my DIL's dad was rushed to the ER and Mr. E spent the day with me. I decided a surprise day off meant working on a simple little pattern. I had ordered a few patterns from Know Sew Cute, one of which was a set of small felted nesting bowls. I dug through my stash of Cascade wool yarn and stitched these four bowls. I tried, unsuccessfully, to felt the bowls. I have since learned my washing machine doesn't agitate enough to felt. I decided to stitch a couple of other felting projects then throw the whole lot into the machine at my son's apartment complex.
My muse moved from hearts and nesting bowls to kool-aid dyeing yarn. I bought two skeins of white Cascade wool yarn from my LYS and several packages of kool-aid and went to work. I followed the directions from Lion Brand Yarn for dyeing the yarn. The process was easy and I enjoyed doing it.

This is my Pink Lemonade yarn. The process took one package of pink lemonade.
The grape yarn required four packages of kool-aid and three times through the dyeing process. The first two times I used one package. When the color wasn't saturated enough for me, I used two packages the third time and result is what I was looking for on the yarn.
My muse wasn't done yet. Next up was dyeing DMC cotton floss following instructions from Pioneer Primitives. Each of these colors used one package of kool-aid. From left to right I have Lemon Lime, Strawberry, Black Cherry and Orange. I want to dye purple, yellow and perhaps, blue, if I can find blue raspberry kool-aid.
What have you been up to lately?

Sweet P

1 comment:

Mary Grace McNamara said...

I totally agree with your ipad assessment for blogging...no good! I only use it for quick checks of email and maybe for a very short comment or two! For real serious computer work, it's the laptop on the kitchen table, or waiting for my husband to finish his work day and hopping onto the big computer in the office! Ugh...when did life get so complicated?!

Anyway, love all your kool-aid colors! I have wanted to try that with cotton yarn for a long time, and I even have a stash of kool-aid to do it. I just need to do it! I've been sewing, getting ready for a fall craft fair that I have signed up for. I might even do more than one this year. So aprons are my latest thing...quick and easy, and so practical!

Nice to hear from you again!

MGM