Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thoughts on Stitching

Yesterday morning I traced two stitchery projects: the Merry block from Gail Pan and the butterfly stitchery for the first Giggle Club project. As I was tracing the projects I wondered how do you trace your projects? Do you draw all the lines or do you make a mark to show you what to stitch?

For example, on the Merry block I traced the entire circle and the flowers. I only made a slight mark where the lazy daisy stitch will be and I didn't draw the cross stitches or the french knots. Before you ask, I use Aunt Martha's Tracing Pencil and Paper. The pencil washes out when the stitching is done.
How do you keep your threads together for a project? After Christmas I bought a Christmas ornament cross stitch project kit dirt cheap. There are lots of threads with the project and I didn't want to mix them in with my own thread nor did I want to spend money to buy a floss bow so I made my own thread keeper. I cut a piece of cardboard about 3 inches wide and 8 inches long from a soda box. Then I took my hole puncher and made enough holes for the thread. I labeled every color with the color from the kit and added the thread. It works for me.
I do have an ivory thread keeper for smaller projects. This piece is about 1 1/2 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches long. Right now it's holding the thread I'm using for my butterfly.
Don't forget to enter my Give Away for our one-year condo anniversary. Just leave a comment on the entry below. Also, I'm doing a similar give away on my home blog, Coffee Time at Home. You can enter both drawings if you'd like.

Until next time, Happy Stitching!
Sweet P

8 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

The ivory one looks very similar to an abalone belt buckle I have; I keep it in my button box. I wonder if that would work? I use one of the plastic boxes that you wind the floss onto the bobbin. I have also made my own floss holders like you have done.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Great idea to make you own floss holder. I have a box that I use with little cards to wrap each colour around.

Anonymous said...

My threads were in a mess...I'm going back to using the threads wrapped on the little cards in a box. Making your own with holes is a great idea.

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

I have three of those plastic containers for DMC floss. I use the small squares they make and roll my thread on those. I have them all organized by color.
Every time I open one of them it makes me happy to see all the colors sitting there neatly just waiting to be used. hahahahaha yeah, I know, weird. :)
dawn

Kay said...

thanks for the suggestion on how to transfer the pattern. I need to get started on the Winter Wonderland stitching and keep putting off the transfering.

Since it's snowing here on the Prairie today, maybe today is the day to start it? (the snowflake blocks)

Dawn said...

I keep my floss in envelopes with the number in the right hand corner and a snipit of thread taped on the left hand corner. I then have the envelopes standing upright in a decorative box. When I am working on a project I take the thread out of the envelope and put it in a "snack" size ziploc baggie. Each thread/floss has its own ziploc baggie. This way all my thread stays seperated.
Happy stitching!!

Anne Heidi said...

I always trace the design with a blue water soluble marker, it works great, and comes right out after I finish stitching. The floss is kept on DMC floss holders in a small project bag.

Quiltsmiles said...

HI Paula,
Great look on your new blog. I actually am very orgainized with my DMC threads, who new!? Love your idea of making your own floss holder for the xmas project you're working on. I did a similiar thing for the "put your big girl panties on..." that I currently working on. HeHE Thanks for hosting this giveaway.

Jane, An Adirodack QUilter