Sunday, May 07, 2006

Renovation - Day Two

I woke up early this morning and took advantage of the time. I vacuumed the studio twice from corner to corner, and that included emptying the canister between rounds. Then I proceeded to put my plan in place. First into the room was the bookcases. I need to keep the cable modem and Airport working. I will use it to store some quilt books when the room is complete. The boxes on the third shelf currently hold my thread supply and tons and tons of hand needles that I didn't realize I had so many packages hiding in my notions box. Bruce got a portable DVD player for Christmas and hadn't taken it out of the box yet. He suggested I put it on top of the bookcase so I could pop in a DVD or CD when I am quilting.



Miss Emily was the next item to come into the room. She looks lovely in her spot. Now I need to call the sewing machine repair man to see if he makes house calls so I can use her properly.



I had purchased this cabinet when I was in my painting and drawing phase to hold my art tools. When I was done with that Bruce started using it as a tall night stand. I mentioned to him that I would like to have it back for storing fabric. He said that was a good idea. I am going to use it to store scraps. First drawer is for scraps smaller then 2.5 inches. 2nd drawer - 2.5 inch scraps. 3rd drawer - 3 and 3.5 inch scraps. 4th drawer - 4 and 4.5 inch scraps. You get the idea for the 5th and 6th drawers. I haven't decided if the 2 large drawers will hold current projects or fat quarters. In case you're wondering I painted this cabinet myself and it has the words: imagine, believe, hope, dream and wish stenciled on it.



We went to Home Depot today to find a piece of wood for making a Big Board sewing board for the top of my cutting/pressing table. We were able to find a 24 X 38 inch piece. We couldn't find any styrofoam board for a design wall. All they had was 1.5 inch pink insulation, so we didn't get that. Then we went to the furniture store to pick up my cutting table. When Bruce saw it, he asked me why I just don't make the top of the table the way I want it for ironing. Since the table is unfinished I wouldn't have to finish it and then worry about the Big Board scratching it. So the plywood will go back to Home Depot later this week. I need to get the batting and flannel so I can finish the table. But for now, it is ready for cutting.



Since Geoffrey didn't pick up his clothes that are still hanging in the closet I didn't get a chance to start working on putting away my UFOs and stash. That will probably happen bit by bit over the next week or so. I did start sorting through some of them today, but didn't make much progress.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you get the 2nd picture, the tall nightstand/dresser at? It will work great for your scraps. Great thinking!

Betty J in OKC

Cher said...

did you decide not to paint this room first?