Saturday, May 27, 2006

The Painting Begins and Frustration Sets In

I didn’t get much painting done in my studio today. I finished 1 of 2 window trimmings. DH did some priming. We had a birthday party for our 4 year old nephew. Then it was home for a nap. I spent time folding my large pieces of fabric (I’ve already finished refolding and organizing my FQs).

I started to become frustrated with the amount of fabric and UFOs I kept uncovering. I was becoming paralyzed trying to figure out where I am going to put everything I keep finding. After about 45 minutes of trying to solve my dilemma on my own I finally asked DH for some help. We talked about buying another piece of storage furniture without reaching a conclusion. I decided to start working through my Ziploc bags of UFOs, thinking I could convince myself to get rid of some of them.

The first bag I picked was the first quilt I started working on when I started quilting 18 months ago. It was half put together and not done very well. I sorted out the pieces that were still usable and put them in my scrap cart. There was some large pieces of fabric that I folded and put away. I threw away the started quilt. I know there is no way I would have ever finished it and it was pretty bad. But I did feel a small weight lifted and I worked through a few more UFO bags. I didn’t throw any other projects away, but it feels good just to reorganize a few UFOs. I still have some bags left, but will finish working through the rest of the UFO bags sometime this weekend.

While eating dinner I realized I had forgotten about the space on the closet shelf to store projects. What a relief! Now I needed to find a storage box or two that could go on the closet shelf. So I spent some time surfing the internet looking at storage boxes. Then I had an AHA moment. I have two fabric lined picnic baskets that will hold my UFOs, are much better looking than more plastic bins and will fit nicely on the closet shelf. One of them was already holding fabric. The other one currently holds some crochet projects that are going to get passed on to someone else.

Tomorrow will be spent painting all day. Then I start putting the studio together. I am still waiting for my work table to arrive. It should come this week. Then I will need to stain my two tables, but that probably won't be done until August. I also need to decide on curtains for the windows and finish a roww robin that I am going to use for a closet "door" since there is no door on the closet now.

No comments: