Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Now I've Done It . . .

DIL and I did our shopping excursion at Jo-Ann's tonight. It was a lot of fun. We started out in the pattern area. Simplicity patterns are on sale this week 5 for $5. The top row of patterns are baby items. The first one is for a diaper bag, bib and boppy pillow. The middle one is for nursery items. I'll be using it mainly for the rocking chair cushion covers. The last one is for carriage covers. The first two patterns in the second row are maternity clothes. The last one is for pajamas. The bottom pattern is car organizers. The pattern caught our eye because of the Patriots fabric. It is more of a fun pattern for us. I can't believe the patterns were only $1 each! What a great deal!
I told DIL I would make her a dress for Christmas. The pattern is a jumper with a dress underneath it. She chose the green fabric as the jumper and the purple fabric as the underneath dress. The black dots on the fabric are actually dark green sequins.

I also told her I would make two tops for her. I'll be making the two long sleeved tops in the pattern for her. The purple and black fabrics are knits and will become a slightly stretchy top. The pink and green are cottons. The pink is the main fabric of the blouse and the green is a contrast and tie color.
So what have I really done? I've moved beyond quilting into sewing clothes. It's been years since I've sewed clothes. Wish me luck! I'm excited to get started!
Sweet P

10 comments:

Paula said...

Looks like you got some great bargains. I love that green fabric with the sequins. I'm sure she'll be stunning! She's got a wonderful mother-in-law to make her maternity clothes. Way to go!

Rhonda said...

Wow! You did good. And good luck with the clothes making. You can do it....Yes you can!

Brenda said...

Looks like you picked out some fun and fabulous patterns and what a deal! I enjoy sewing clothes now and then between quilting. Have fun with everything! Beautiful fabrics.

LouAnne said...

Oh, this reminds me of my mother-in-law who made a whole wardrobe for me when I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter. I kept those clothes for over 4 years and wore them again when I was pregnant with girl #3. MIL, like you, took time away from her quilting (crazy AND traditional) to sew for me. I was SO lucky and being a sewer with a busy PR job myself, I was SO appreciative. You are doing a wonderful favor!

Karen said...

You are a wonderful mother-in-law, sewing for your DIL! I am so impressed!! Trust me no one would wear anything that I would sew!! What a great relationship you must have. What a gift!
KC

Gina said...

I'll being dress making after Christmas. DD Gemma wants me to teach her how to make clothes. I haven't sewn anything like that since she was a toddler so wish me luck.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Greenmare said...

you won't need luck, it's so much fun and you'll do fabulous! just make sure you post pictures for us!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

You have a great selection of fabrics, wonderful patterns, and great sewing skills. What kind of luck do you need? I wish you well. Be sure to show us the results!

Nicky said...

Good luck with the clothes! It will be nice for a change- although different to work with jersey, silky and stretch fabrics.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

firstly, congrats on the Grandbaby! Noting like a baby t get the old clothes sewing skills out again! ou look so happy in a post or two back, obviously life is great!
Tricky that sewing with vinyl, I do it a lot but still apain. Did you use a leather needle, really helps.
Have a great day, Tracey