Sunday, April 06, 2008

Happy Fabric Tote Bag

Well, my Happy Fabric purchased on April Fool's Day didn't have time to cure in my stash. This weekend I used it to make the April tote bag for my BQL Yahoo group.

I really enjoyed making the bag. In my quilting career I had not machine quilted a project that I've finished. This bag was quilted as part of the piecing. I did wavy lines on the gusset and freehand quilted around the flowers on the black fabric. I didn't want to hide the flowers with the quilting.
The dark green circles are appliqued onto the bag. The directions for making them made them simple to make. You started with a cardboard circle. Cut the fabric a little larger than the circle. Stitched a running stitch around the circle. Placed the fabric on the cardboard and pulled the stitch, this made the fabric gather around the cardboard. Pressed the fabric and let it cool. Then gently loosen a small portion of the gathers and pulled out the cardboard. Press again. The circles stayed round and were easy to stitch onto the bag. I have to try this method for my Butterfly Garden quilt when I get back to working on it.
My beloved Red Sox are having a tough weekend in Toronto. They lost Friday and Saturday and are now losing 6 - 2. I bet they'll be glad to get home to Boston later tonight. Home opener on Tuesday. I hope they do better then.

Happy Stitching!

15 comments:

Carolyn said...

Cute bag. That is how I learned to applique circles. I made lots of tiny circles when I did the Grandma's Album quilt. They ARE much easier that way!

Nancy said...

Great bag!! Love that black with the lime green...

Quilter Kathy said...

What a cute bag! I wish I would make some fabric bags to haul my quilting stuff around in. Your bags are so pretty.

Anonymous said...

Love the fabric, love the bag! If I ever come across that fabric, I'm definitely going to pick up a yard (or three!). I hope you are feeling better! Denise in PA

Julia said...

Hi,
Love your bag! love the combination of black and lime green.
Thank you for your comment on my blog...

julieQ said...

Very pretty bag! So spring time looking.

Marla said...

I like the sides on your bag. Can we ever have too many totes?

Greenmare said...

that is one seriously cute bag. Take it from one bag lady to another, I'd use that one!

Vicki said...

That is a really cute bag! Glad to hear you are another music person. I played flute, but was always interested in french horn. They sounds so cool.
Vicki

Nicky said...

georgeous fabric, love the style of the bag
Nicky

Carole said...

Lovely bag! One day, I'll make a bag! I'm still too cranky to attempt a bag! ;o) Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Nice Happy bag!!
I feel the pain with the Red Sox! They are home tomorrow with Ring Cermony and all, maybe that will spark the winners that they are.

Kim said...

Very cute bag :)
Tough weekend in baseball all around I think. I've been forced to watch the Mets as the places we've been are Met fans -sigh.
Wow Baltimore finally lost one- about time.

Linda Mullen said...

Very cute

Chookyblue...... said...

nice bag.......like the green.......take care of yourself.....