Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Create, Creating, Creative

"Nothing exists until or unless it is observed. An artist is making something exist by observing it. And his hope for other people is that they will also make it exist by observing it. I call it "creative observation." Creative viewing." -William Burroughs
I majored in Philosophy and Religious Studies in college.  I remember many early mornings spent in Philosophy class discussing one or two paragraphs from a 15-page reading.  I didn't understand how fun or educational it was to discuss a small set of words and what their meaning was in relation to the rest of book or the author or the world.

Now, once in a while, I do like the challenge of discussing a word and its meaning.

For example, take the word "create".  Here are two definitions of create from Dictionary.com:

  1. to cause to come into being, as something unique that would not naturally evolve or that is not made by ordinary processes.
  2. to evolve from one's own thought or imagination, as a work of art or an invention.
Both of these definitions may lead you to believe to create is a special act, perhaps by a talented person.  I maintain each person can create or be creative.  It all depends on your point of view.
Open your fridge door.  Creatively observe the eggs in their carton, the cheddar cheese in the drawer and the bacon on shelf.  Those items cannot naturally evolve into an omelet for breakfast.  You have to (using the definition) cause the omelet to come into being.  You created breakfast!
How about the pile of dirty laundry in the corner?  It isn't going to spontaneously jump into the washer, then the dryer, fold itself and put itself away.  You can be creative with the laundry by folding it in a new way or put it in a new spot.  (I know this is a stretch, but humor me.  Three is my number and I needed three examples.)
As I write this I see my bag of markers, crayons and pencils sitting on top of my sketchbook.  I am listening to the wind blowing hard, sounding more like a mid-Winter wind than a gentle early Spring breeze.  In my mind I am creatively viewing a swirl of colors across the sketchbook paper.  
Therefore, I am off to play.  Maybe I'll be back with a photo of my work later. 
What have you creatively observed today? 
PS - I missed my Blog Anniversary on Monday.  I started this blog adventure on April 1, 2006.  Wow!  I can't believe it's been that long! 
Sweet P

2 comments:

DayDreamer said...

Happy belated Anniversary. I hadn't thought of using words to create something in my mind before though I do have a love of language and how it has evolved. In a way, probably many words will have come about and changed due to what they were used for in the creation of something, for instance you mention creating breakfast, we have the words cook, bake etc. all coming from the process of preparing a meal.

Quinn said...

Happy Blog Anniversary! I was excited to celebrate my first year recently. 7 years is amazing!
I hope you continue to enjoy the A to Z Challenge. I love the wind drawing on the next post!